Dentistry is a branch of medicine that focuses on studying, preventing, diagnosing, and treating conditions and diseases that affect the oral cavity. General dentistry focuses on providing services to achieve and maintain oral health for as long as possible. At Scharrington Dental in Schaumburg, Illinois, our team is skilled at providing a wide range of general dental services designed to keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
General Dentistry Explained
Your oral health is very closely connected to your overall wellness. There are many well-established links between oral diseases and infections, including an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. By establishing good oral hygiene and maintenance routines, you can help contribute to your overall health. In addition to oral care at home, maintaining twice-yearly visits to your dentist is vital for every stage of life. During these visits, we can observe the oral cavity for any early signs of disease or infection, screen for age-specific oral health problems, and, when necessary, provide services that will restore oral health.
Services Available at a General Dentist
General dentistry includes a wide array of services designed to help your teeth stay healthy and function properly. The following are some of the most offered services at our Schaumburg dental office:
- Preventative Care – Dental exams and cleanings, X-rays, and oral cancer screenings are all part of our preventive services. Designed to keep your teeth and gums healthy, being consistent with preventative care can go a long way in preventing severe oral health problems.
- Dental Fillings – Nearly everyone will experience a cavity at some point in life, and treating it promptly can prevent it from continuing to grow and cause damage. Tooth-colored composite fillings are a safe and natural-looking way to repair cavities and restore oral health.
- Gum Disease Treatment – Gum disease is a serious oral health problem that can cause severe damage to the teeth and gums. When left untreated, the infection will spread, creating pockets of soft tissue where bacteria will become trapped and can damage the bone. Treatment for gum disease is often a procedure called scaling and root planing, where we provide a deep cleaning to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria and then smooth out the roots to reduce the progression of the disease.
- Root Canal Treatment – When the roots of a tooth become damaged, either due to infection or trauma, a root canal is needed to restore health and prevent extraction. During root canal therapy, the damaged pulp area of the tooth is removed, the canals are cleaned, and a filling is placed to seal the space.
- Dental Crowns – Dental crowns are used in various general dentistry procedures. They can be placed over a tooth after root canal therapy to strengthen it and preserve function. They may also be used with dental bridges or implants to replace missing teeth.
- Dental Implants – Permanent tooth loss is not only embarrassing but can also lead to premature facial aging, bone deterioration, and further tooth loss or shifting. Dental implants are the gold standard for tooth replacement. By replacing the lost root, dental implants preserve bone structure and provide a stable foundation to restore chewing and biting functionality.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Being proactive about your dental care can help avoid problems and expenses down the road. To learn more about how the team at Scharrington Dental in Schaumburg, Illinois, can be your partners in oral health, please call us at (847) 860-6743.
Share this Article